to download the report
US Consumer Device Preference Report Q1 2015
Q1 2015: Smartphone Conversions Are Finally Here… But Where are the Android Users?
Movable Ink’s US Consumer Device Preference Report was first released in 2013 and provides deep insight into consumers’ adoption and use of smartphones, tablets, and desktop computers, and how they engage with email while using their preferred devices.
The Q1 2015 US Consumer Device Preference Report focuses on data from January 2015 - March 2015 based on 1.5 billion email opens. This edition shows that 2015 might be a tipping point for mobile conversions. New research shows that smartphones are catching up to desktops when it comes to conversions.
• Consumers Aren’t Afraid to Convert on Mobile. For a long time, it’s been a trope that desktops convert better than mobile devices. In the US, that may no longer be the case – in an analysis of 57,986 emails, we found that 31% of conversions from email occurred on iPhones, compared to 37% on desktops.
• Mobile Opens Are Higher Than Ever. At this point in our research, it’s no surprise that mobile email opens keep getting higher. The trend continues, with the number of opens on tablets and smartphones reaching 67% of total opens.
• Every State is Mobile-First. In Q1 2015, every state opened more emails on mobile devices than on desktops. That said, 10 states still slightly favor desktops over smartphones for emails.
• Iphone Users are Less Patient than Android Users. In our Q4 2014 research, we found that iPhone users are a lot less patient than Android users. That trend has continued. In Q1 2015, only 34.7% of iPhone users spent 15+ seconds on the average email, compared to 54% of Android phone users.
• Mondays are the Least Mobile. Monday is the least mobile day of the week, with 36.8% of opens happening on desktops. Sunday is the most mobile day of the week, with tablet opens rising to 19.13% and smartphone opens rising to 53.85%.
• Some Industries are Less Mobile than Others. Nonprofit (52%), financial services (44%), automotive (45%), and travel industries (44%) all skewed above average for desktop use. Internet services and retail (apparel) ranked highest for mobile email opens
This report is available free to members, either login to your account or register to access now. Free membership enables full access to our knowledge centre.
Login to DownloadRegister to Download
Login to download your free report
Simply complete the form to download the free report