to download the report
UK Consumer Device Preference Report Q1 2015
Q1 2015: SMARTPHONES ARE FOR OPENS, DESKTOPS & TABLETS ARE FOR CONVERSIONS
Movable Ink’s UK Consumer Device Preference Report was first released in 2013 and provides deep insight into consumers’ adoption and use of smartphones, tablets, and desktop computers, and how they engage with email while using their preferred devices.
The Q1 2015 edition is the fifth UK device report and shows that mobile devices have become a dominating force in email marketing, accounting for the majority of email opens in the UK.
• Mobile Conversions are Happening, Just Not On Smartphones. M-commerce has been lagging behind desktops for years. Our analysis of 27,305 retail emails shows that might be changing, but only for tablets – approximately 37% of email conversions took place on tablets, compared
to 39% on desktops. Smartphones accounted for 25% of conversions.
• Mobile Email Opens Keep on Growing. Mobile email opens hit an alltime high for Q1 2015 – 71% of emails were opened on smartphones and tablets, compared to 29% on desktop.
• Desktops Reign Supreme for Click-Throughs. In our analysis of 2.2 million emails, we found that desktops account for approximately 39% of clicks. Smartphones account for 34% and tablets for 28%.
• London Remains Tablet-less. Once again, we found that London, while boasting the highest number of smartphone email opens (47%), had the lowest number of email opens on a tablet (22%).
• Android Users are Patient and Engaged. Our results found that Android readers tend to read emails a lot longer than other users, with 51% staying on emails for 15 seconds or longer, compared to 41% of iPhone users and 36% of desktop users.
• Smartphones Dominate the Mornings. If you send emails early in the morning, make sure they’re designed for small screens – from right after midnight all the way to 7:30, more than half of all emails are opened on smartphones.