The First Critical Stage For An Effective Mobile Sports Betting Site – Initial Engagement
While the online sports betting sector is ahead of the game in being “mobile first”, a recent study by Global Reviews on the Mobile Sales Effectiveness in the sector found that top brands are losing target customers due to not fully aligning the mobile and desktop experience at certain points of the customer journey.
Infact, almost a third of mobile bettors would leave the site if they encountered a problem.
Our Mobile Sales Effectiveness research, conducted in April 2016, put a sample of 450 “in market” bettors on the mobile websites of 16 different sports betting websites across Ireland, UK and Australia. The study highlighted that there are three critical stages along the mobile customer journey that need focus in order to decrease the level of lost opportunity that sports brands suffer from.
The three stages are:
- Initial Engagement
- Introducing Options
- Application i.e. Adding a Bet
In part one of this blog series, we look at the first critical stage, “Initial Engagement”.
What is Initial Engagement?
Initial Engagement incorporates a number of factors relating to a bettor’s initial impression of the homepage including:
- Communicating a clear value proposition in consumer-focused language
- Building trust
- Enhancing security and privacy features
- Accommodates returning visits
Australian brand Sportsbet scored highest in our mobile study for “Initial Engagement”. The homepage on Sportsbet’s mobile site has mobile-optimised functions, security, convenient log-in and clear payment information.
Best Practice for winning Initial Engagement
Initial impression of the homepage:
- Visually appealing design
- Streamlined design – uncluttered, use of similarity and separation
- Easy to navigate site
- Create affinity with the target audience through colour, imagery and font
Communicating a clear value proposition in consumer centric language
- Consider different messaging for homepage and product details page
- Create a competitive advantage by going beyond just discounts and deals
Communicating security and privacy
- Ensure access to supporting information
- Use imagery to communicate privacy
- Provide tips and assistance on how to protect your computer from security breaches and threats
- Transparency on pricing and quick access to key actions is important
- Include testimonials, third party endorsements and a commitment to customers
Part two of this blog series will look at the second critical stage for an effective mobile betting site, Introducing Options.
Global Reviews is a recognised world leader at providing leading companies with unique intelligence that helps increase their online customer acquisition ratios.
To find out more about our research programmes and how we can help you convert more of your ideal customers online, please contact Hannah-Rose Farrington – Commercial Director (email@example.com)