The Digital Dozen – Alex McIlvenny, VP Sales Europe and Country Manager UK, Ligatus
The Digital Dozen is a series of profile interviews with thought leaders in the technology industry. Here we speak with Alex McIlvenny, VP Sales Europe and Country Manager UK of Ligatus, about his career path and ask the question on everyone’s lips... what's your favourite doughnut?
1. Name your three best qualities.
Patience, sales and motivating others.
2. What's the biggest lesson you've learnt in your working life?
Treat others how you would like to be treated.
3. What has been your best idea yet?
Setting up a more simplified deal management structure and the rollout of the Global Programmatic Academy at Ligatus. Programmatic advertising is a particularly fast-paced industry and I enjoy bringing new ideas to the table and working hard to make them flourish.
4. What advice have you been given that made a difference?
Always keep things simple, as often over complicating situations or processes does not bring greater efficiency. I think it’s also important to prevent any wasted time worrying about the things that are beyond our control.
5. What’s the best thing about your work?
I enjoy working with people across our multiple markets. It’s fun and challenging to keep up with the changing industry trends across the globe and I enjoy working hard to maximise the impact of our offering. Sharing best practice between different regions helps you gain a more holistic overview of the international marketplace.
6. What do you think will be big in media in ten years’ time?
In-house client direct programmatic trading.
7. What career path would you advise your children to follow?
The best advice I would give my children is to never be afraid of the unknown, having big ideas and pushing boundaries. It’s always key to evaluate hidden opportunities, as you never know where these can lead.
8. What career path would you be following if you weren't in your current job?
Pilot or Architect
9. Which TV programme would you like to star in?
The Island – I think I’d thrive on survival of the fittest!
10. Who would be your four perfect dinner guests?
- Bear Grylls
- Prince Harry
- Jeremy Clarkson
- Dalai Lama
11. What three items would you take to a desert island?
Sunglasses, my iPhone and my fiancé.
12. And finally, the question on everyone’s lips... what's your favourite doughnut?
It has to be peanut butter and nutella.