5 Tips to Promote Your Business With Discount Marketing
Discounts play a crucial role in a brand’s life. They are one of the best ways to increase your sales and award your customers; however, there is a fine line between operating an effective discount strategy and damage your brand image with unnecessary or not personalised discounts. Here are 5 tips to promote your business with discount marketing on mobile platforms.
We all know: today’s business world is more competitive and complex than ever. Companies have to design and develop new and innovative products and services to meet customer expectations as well as meeting their sales targets. That’s why they have to play the game very well and act on every opportunity strategically. This time we will talk about how to play your discount strategies well, and (of course!) through mobile marketing*.
*As app/web usage makes up 62% of time spent in digital mediums, the mobile phone turns out to be the most impactful way to engage with customers when leveraged with discount marketing.
Discounts play a crucial role in a brand’s life. They are one of the best ways to increase your sales and award your customers; however, there is a fine line between operating an effective discount strategy and damage your brand image with unnecessary or not personalised discounts.
Ok, we will cut to the chase now. Here are 5 tips to promote your business with discount marketing on mobile platforms.
1. Use Push Notifications, Wisely
Mobile engagement is not even a hot topic anymore, it is actually essential for marketers. And push notifications are defined as Mobile Marketing 101 now. As simple as it sounds, don’t forget: you are only successful when your push messages are welcomed by your customers.
What you can do is limitless. However, whichever industry you are in, there are some creative push notifications that can catch your customers’ attention.
- You can send your loyal customers a ‘special discount’ one day before you announce it to the mass or pre-launch offers and make them feel special.
- You can send some helpful messages to your ‘busy’ customers and tell them that they don’t have to come all the way to your store to enjoy the discounts. Or you can offer them free shipping in line with the same logic.
- With interactive push messages, you can ask for a rating related to a purchase/an activity like: How was your experience, the product? etc. And you can thank them and offer them a discount with a push notification for those who provide a positive rating.
There are many more areas you can use discount push notifications such as Weekly/monthly discounts, Holiday and seasonal discounts, Email/newsletter subscription offers, Exclusive social discounts, Event attendance offers to name a few.
2. Create Tailor-Made Automated Scenarios
With mobile marketing automation, you can trigger a message automatically in response to your users’ behaviours or segments. Knowing your audience and acting on it is a significant competitive advantage. Therefore first, you have to segment your customers based on their behaviours or some insights such as nationality, age, gender, and timezone.
- You can add an offer to your welcome messages for your first-time users. Your new customers would appreciate the informative messages combined with discounts which will spark their curiosity even more.
- If it has been a long time since your customers interacted with your app, you can re-engage them with an emotional “We miss you! And you missed these discounts while you are away!” push notification.
- You can always send automated discounts to your loyal customers who made purchases at a certain scale or referred your brand to their friends.
Again; there are various use cases you can use automated messages such as; Abandoned cart discounts, Incentives for liking, following, and sharing on social media, Customer loyalty program membership incentives, Customer milestone discounts. Just remember: Be custom concise and relevant!
3. Put a Time Constraint
“Exclusive Discount-Today Only! %15 off on every item for 24 hours!” surely will urge your customers to add items to their carts. Time-limited offers are important in both ways;
- Your customers would like to have some kind of “exclusivity” and they do not want to miss out on a special offer.
- Simply human nature: this will give your customers impulsion to act as quickly as possible within the certain time, not to miss out the discount.
Also not to forget that time-limited offers increase the value of your brand/product in the eyes of the customers.
Speaking of time, one important tip: Don’t forget to consider the local time zone of customer groups. You do not want to wake your customers up to buy your products at 4 am.
4. (Geo) Target
Location-based notifications help a great deal with the matter of timing and the relevancy of the offers. A discount offer where you can easily send it to a specific location where your customers are- would be very appealing since they would be perceived as a relevant and a timely opportunity from your customers’ perspective. Who wouldn’t like to receive a welcome notification and discount when stepping into a mall?
In this case, Geofences are your secret mobile weapons where you can trigger a discount message when a person enters or leaves a specific location- can you be more relevant? You can even implement geofences on your competitors’ stores and send your tailored messages to attract the customers around those locations.
And one tip: if you listen to the actions your users are taking and learn which locations your campaigns are more effective, this would give you a strategic idea which locations you can improve or invest more.
5. Always Track your Results
Tracking is the ultimate guide that will lead you to the right path in your marketing strategies. After- or during- each campaign, you should track your results with real-time campaign analytics. This is where you will be able to understand your customer behaviour, which segments are responding better to your campaigns or which type of campaigns are more effective. With this measurement capability in your hands, you will be able to use this new data to implement more successful campaigns and you will add more to ROI.
Give more to your customers than a simple discount. Use all the opportunities you have to segment and target your customers at the right place and at the right time. Then go deeper with the right analysis to even build better and more relevant campaigns in the future.