Is “Java Forever” Or Just A Cliché?
I set out to find the answer to this question and here is a list of reasons that contribute to Java’s popularity and its entry in the list of most feasible choices for all cross-platform projects.
A time and again used expression that I read in almost all articles that praise Java or consider it the foremost programming language is “Java forever.” The other expressions include “Write Once, Run Anywhere,” and so on. Java is undoubtedly a popular choice and there is no second thought about it but why is it Java development so popular and why is it the best or at least one of the best choices for development on almost all the platforms.
I set out to find out the answer to this question and here is a list of reasons that contribute to Java’s popularity and its entry in the list of most feasible choices for all cross-platform projects.
- It is known to have a great development ecosystem which comprises the libraries and Java API. Being an open source platform, the kind of APIs that are available can only be imagined. Another great advantage of this ecosystem is not having to create classes but use the tried and tested ones from the library.
- Java is an appropriate choice for applications that are starting out as small but are eventually going to grow. A perfect example of this type would be a social media site not necessarily the popular global ones but maybe even an enterprise-level site where employees connect and share thoughts and trivia.
- It is probably one of the only few programming languages that allows both server-side and client-side programming. This is an exceptional feature which when combined with the open-source element works wonders because of the contributions that different developers can make to enhance the programming.
- Java’s compatibility with multiple platforms and the options of available integrated development environments (IDEs) like Eclipse, NetBeans, IntelliJ IDEA, etc. make it an ideal choice for developers or companies who are looking for a versatile programming language that can serve a variety of purposes whenever required.
- Another very extremely important reason for preferring Java has again to do with its open-source. The benefit that it gets from the community users is something that not all other platforms do. One of the strongest competitors is .NET and the developers using ASP.NET have to rely on Microsoft alone for resources.
The advantages listed above do not include the common points about Java development that almost everyone is familiar with which includes the speed of Java-based applications, easily available community resources, etc.
Commercial enterprises and organizations with different motives benefit from Java alike because Java has something special to offer to everyone. A business with a futuristic vision would never seize an opportunity that gives it an edge above the rest of competitors. This is the domain where Java gives you an advantage. It has been up and running for almost two decades and has been growing stronger by the day. Consult with your programming specialist to see how Java can enhance your application or program. Share your success stories with us and let the world benefit from your experiences.