What is DevOps?
"Embrace DevOps”.Whether you are a tiny startup, a mid-sized one or a Fortune 500 company, be informed that the IT industry is adopting DevOps at an amazing pace. Even then, majority of IT professionals either don’t know about DevOps or just have a partial understanding of the big picture.
Top concerns that we hear from customers are “How can we release on-time?”, “How can we have a stable release?” or “How can we address the problems before end users get impacted?” Happiest Minds answer them in a simple one-liner, “Embrace DevOps”.Whether you are a tiny startup, a mid-sized one or a Fortune 500 company, be informed that the IT industry is adopting DevOps at an amazing pace. Even then, majority of IT professionals either don’t know about DevOps or just have a partial understanding of the big picture.
We explain here the basic concepts of DevOps and why you should embrace it.
- What is DevOps?
- Do we really need DevOps?
- How does DevOps work anyways?
- Challenges and problems out there
- Happiest Minds Approach – 7Cs of DevOps • How will you benefit from Happiest Minds DevOps Approach?
Patrick Debois, who’s often called “the father of DevOps”, coined the word “DevOps” in 2009. As the word depicts, it was formed by combining two words: “development” and “operations”. DevOps is a collaborative way of developing and deploying software. DevOps (a portmanteau of development and operations) is a software development method that stresses communication, collaboration and integration between software developers and information technology (IT) operation professionals
" It’s a movement of people who think it’s change in the IT Industry - time to stop wasting money, time to start delivering great software, and building systems that scale and last "
- DevOps is an approach based on agile and lean principles in which business owners, development, operations, and quality assurance team collaborate to deliver software in a continuous stable manner
- DevOps is an environment that promotes cross practicality, shared business tasks and belief • DevOps is a movement that improves IT service delivery agility
- DevOps is a culture that promotes better working relationship within the company
- DevOps is a set of practices that provides rapid, reliable software delivery
Do we really need DevOps?
Developers always want to deliver changes as soon as possible. Operations want reliability and stability.
Lee Thomson describes this as a wall of confusion between development and operations. This wall of confusion not only exists between the mindsets of the two teams but also with the tools they use. Development uses some tools and operation uses some other tools to perform the same stuff.
DevOps break down the walls between development and operations team, unifying development to operations for better, faster outcomes
What Drives the Need for DevOps?
DevOps is a way of thinking.
Survey of DevOps Quantifiable Benefits
How does DevOps work anyways?
Five Basic Principles of DevOps :
- Eliminate the blame game, Open post-postmortems, Feedback, Rewarding failures • Continuous Delivery, Monitoring, Configuration Management
- Business value for end user
- Performance Metrics, Logs, Business goals Metrics, People Integration Metrics, KPI
- Ideas, Plans, Goals, Metrics, Complications, Tools
DevOps combines the best of all teams providing the following:
- Develops and verifies against production-like systems
- Reduces cost/time to deliver - Deploy often, deploy faster with repeatable, reliable process
- Increases Quality - Automated testing, Reduce cost/time to test
- Reduces Defect cycle time - Increase the ability to reproduce and fix defects
- Increases Virtualize Environments utilization
- Reduces Deployment related downtime • Minimizes rollbacks
Challenges and problems out there
It doesn’t matter whether you are in Cloud, Enterprise or Mobile. For each one of you, stable software delivery on time is the key to your business success.
Some of the serious issues blocking your software delivery are:
- Building and maintaining servers – Time consuming and unproductive
- No environment management - Differences in development and production environments
- Slow deployments – Costly error prone manual process and efforts
- No shared ownership - Lack of feedback and proper metric leads
- No proper configuration management - Discrepancies in managing configurations
- Deployments are a blocker - Upgrade risk due to manual management of multiple application configuration and versions - Dependency on specific deployment engineer
- Production downtime - Due to lack of improper deployment instructions / checklist
- Hacking – Fixing directly in production (instead of a proper hot fix process) and forgets to check-in into source control
Realize your entire business gets impacted if you do not have Continuous Delivery. To enable that, you must adopt DevOps
Happiest Minds approach: 7Cs OF DevOps
Happiest Minds believes in the agile mantra “People over Process over Tools”. With the right people, we establish the right process and choose the right tools to deliver the end results.
- People – Communication & Collaboration
- Process – Source Control Check-ins, Code Review, Code Quality, Change Control, RCAs
- Tools – For Continuous Delivery (achieve by the combination of Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment and Continuous Testing) and Continuous Monitoring
7 Cs of DevOps - The Happiest Minds Way:
- Controlled Process
- Continuous Integration
- Continuous Deployment
- Continuous Testing
- Continuous Monitoring
Without automation there is no DevOps
- Automate Provisioning - Infrastructure as Code
- Automate Builds – Continuous Integration
- Automate Deployments – Defined Deployment Pipeline and Continuous Deployments with appropriate configurations for the environments
- Automate Testing – Continuous Testing, Automated tests after each deployment
- Automate Monitoring – Proper monitors in place sending alerts
- Automate Metrics – Performance Metrics, Logs
How will you benefit from happiest minds DevOps approach
Happiest Minds DevOps Approach defines the DevOps lifecycle as a Continuous on-going interactions and feedback between the Customers-Business-Development-Operations
Happiest Minds DevOps Solutions help you remove bottlenecks in software development to achieve continuous delivery of software-focused improvement. With swift principles across the software life cycle, Happiest Minds is able to mend the culture, process and tools gap to drive faster innovation and feedback that ultimately improve the customer experience.
Barriers to DevOps Adoption
What are the biggest obstacles in implementing DevOps in your organization? (Select all that apply)
Some Companies who got DevOps Right
Let us take care of your DevOps needs end-to-end, from automation, building servers, deployment pipeline to continuous delivery and more. When it comes to DevOps we got it covered. If you have any questions or want to learn more about DevOps, just contact us @ Happiest Minds